Google Maps is one of the most popular mobile apps on the planet. Millions upon millions of people around the world rely on the app to help them discover new places, and of course to guide them to those new places. As a result, each new Google Maps update released by Google instantly impacts millions of people — mostly for the better, but sometimes Google’s changes in Maps cause more aggravation than they’re worth.
On Wednesday evening, Google released new updates for its Google Maps apps on Android and on the iPhone. And thankfully, this is a case where all of the updates bring nifty new features and there are no big design changes that might cause people headaches.
Here are five new features Google added to Google Maps in these latest updates that users should definitely check out:
- Filter searches for restaurants by cuisine type — Google Maps users can finally drill down restaurant searches by cuisine, meaning we’re all now one step closer to being able to uninstall Yelp.
- See current weather information for cities around the world — a nice new feature for users who are performing searches while getting ready to travel.
- Drop a pin for your starting and destination points in directions and navigation — this new feature makes fine-tuning your path while navigating much easier.
- Add transit directions to your calendar — now when you add a work meeting or any other event to your schedule, you’ll easily be able to include transit directions right in the calendar entry!
- Sharable directions — this is an undocumented change in the Android version of Google Maps, and it lets users quickly and easily share directions with any contact.
This article was originally published on BGR.com